Friday, June 26, 2009

Zeta Communities- Green modular townhouses

Zeta Communities had a write up in the Chronicle this week. I researched the company and some work on modular green building. Here are my thoughts:

1. The Zeta website and some of the interviews with the owner state that they use Just In Time manufacturing to bring down their costs. I don't understand this since they are in the process of finishing their first building and in discussion about further developments. Without having a flow of materials to receive and process Just In Time, this makes no sense to me. I am pleased that they are thinking about this approach as it does save a lot of waste.

2. The pricing of the units are very high. These could only be used in areas with very high costs of building. I did not see anywhere how much of the cost would be offset by having a net zero energy home. But if you save $2000/year on a house that costs $400,000 and a piece of land to put it on that costs $200,000.... it doesn't seem like much of a savings.

3. Of course the $2000 is straight cost on your energy bills - it's not the true cost to the environment. Until that gets quantified and the government somehow forces that into the equation, there is no practical way for individuals to justify their current cash expenditure.

3. I've heard the term eco-chic. I think if this gets going, it is going to be zero energy housing for the rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment