Thursday, April 15, 2010

Silicon Valley Sustainability?

Last night I attended the MIT Club of Northern California's event on Careers in Cleantech/Greentech. I met someone who worked at Cisco in supply chain management finding and evalutating new manufacturing partners. Cicso outsources manufacturing 100%. I asked if he used any sustainability criteria - no. Didn't seem to know anything about it.
I checked Cisco's web page - they do have a section on sustainability. It lists 4 actions they have done - all of which were basic efficiency and cost cutting and really didn't target sustainability. They mention following the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) guidelines and adding some of their own. This seems to be the standard answer for Silicon Valley companies - I need to read this and see what it really covers.
Finally the website mentions starting to address GHG emissions in 2009. Since we are 4 months into 2010, it will be interesting to see if they report something soon about 2009.
So it must not be a corporate mandate and my gut tells me this is common in Si Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment